The blueberry pie or blueberry cake is a simple, tasteful, great looking classic American pie that is almost as famous as the apple pie. The secret lies in a buttery and crispy crust and a sweet filling. With the heat, the blueberries, which are considered a super fruit, break and with sugar and flour make up almost a jam.
The blueberry pie is a dessert typical of American cuisine but now is spread around the world with a crispy pastry shell, encloses a soft filling of fruit. The blueberry pie can be served fresh from the oven when it is still hot or cold. It is very tasty in both versions. If you love this type of cake, you should also try the apple pie.
To cover the filling you can choose to get strips of dough or alternatively, you can completely cover the cake with a thin layer. Prick the top lightly with the tines of a fork to allow steam to escape during cooking. In the recipe that we propose the filling is made with blueberries, sugar and lemon juice. If you prefer you can replace half the blueberries with the same amount of other berries such as raspberries, blackberries, and currants.
Blueberries have antioxidants and are anti-inflammatory, antibacterial and vasoprotective and is a fruit of exquisite and valuable health benefits. Consuming regularly can help prevent many diseases, but make sure it is from organic farms and then it's absolutely delicious.
Preparation Time: 59 mins
Cooking time: 50 mins
Servings: 2 servings
Calories per serving: 250 calories per 100 gms
- 100 gm blueberries
- 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 100 gm flour
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 50 gm butter
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- Salt to taste
- In a large bowl, pick up 50 gm flour and mix with a fork. Add 25 gm butter. With a fork, mix the flour with the butter, but do not overdo it. The mixture will be grainy. Add in the sugar, a bit of lemon juice and salt and continue to mix with a fork until the mixture is crumbled.
- Add 1 tbsp cold water and blend again until it forms a ball. Wrap half the dough in plastic wrap and let rest in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes. Do the same with the remaining dough, but, instead of in the fridge, transfer to a cold worktop (preferably marble). With a lightly floured rolling pin, roll out the dough into a 25cm diameter disc. Transfer it to the greased and floured disk in a ceramic baking dish.
- For the filling in a bowl mix the remaining flour and sugar. Add the blueberries, a pinch of cinnamon, zest and the remaining lemon juice.
- Take out the other dough from refrigerator, roll it out quickly on a marble surface and cover the pie. Make use of the spare dough to close the edges and create a cordon all around. Seal it with a fork or simply by pinching with your fingers. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Beat the egg and add milk and mix together. Remove the cake from refrigerator and brush the top with egg. Make 4 cuts on top of the Blueberry Pie in a radial pattern so as to let out the excess steam.
- Preheat the oven to 220 ° C, bake the pie and cook for 15 minutes. The high temperature will be used to create a crunchy crust. Then, lower the oven to 180 ° C and cook for another 30 minutes. Remove from the oven, let cool slightly and serve your blueberry pie alone or, as per American tradition, accompanied by a scoop of vanilla.