The Controversial Balloon d'Or Ranking

Now it's official. Cristiano Ronaldo has won the Ballon d'Or 2016. The prize, this year, again became the exclusive preserve of the French magazine, France Football, which has split the agreement with FIFA that lasted from 2010. Ronaldo, then, was elected by a special jury of journalists (173) selected by France Football.

For Ronaldo, it is the fourth time, one short of the record-holder Lionel Messi. And the second time - technically that Ronaldo won the Ballon d'Or. In the other two (2013 and 2014), it was the FIFA Ballon d'Or, which also gathered the votes of the captains and the national coach, who now will vote instead for The Best, in practice the old FIFA World Player of the Year.

It's since 2008 that only Messi and Ronaldo has got hold of this award. For the Portuguese, it is, by the way, the third Golden Ball in the past four years and comes thanks to victories in the Champions League (the 11th of Real Madrid) and the European Championship with Portugal. On the podium, this year, also finished Antoine Griezmann of French Atletico, who were defeated in both finals by Ronaldo.



For me it is a great honor to receive the fourth Ballon d'Or, said Ronaldo to France Football. The emotion is always the same and once again is a dream come true. I never dreamed of winning it four times, I'm really happy and satisfied. I thank all my teammates, those of Real Madrid and all those who have helped me to win this individual award.

It was the best year of my career, both collectively and individually. The European Championship victory with Portugal was the only thing missing on my resume. It was one of the moments important of my life. And I do not forget the victory of the Champions League. Now the Ballon d'Or is something unforgettable.