Wednesday, June 8, 2016

Goynar Baksho Movie Review



My fan relationship with Aparna Sen, as a director or actress is rather superficial, in addition to my knowledge of Bengali cinema, but as I adore Konkona Sen Sharma, I could not resist seeing this adaptation of the short story by Shirshendu Mukhopadhyay.

Married at just 11 years old, Rashmoni, nicknamed Pishima, and interpreted by Moushumi Chatterjee wanders a short time later, condemned to live a life free of the passions of our lives like having hair cut, remarry again, or even eat tasty food or dress in colors that are not white. Bitter by her cruel destiny, Pishima is only saved by her precious jewelry of gold chains and bracelets and is the only reason her family endures her until the day she stretches herself.

However, before the survivors can salivate on the jewels, Pishima's ghost establishes a one-way relationship with Somlata (Konkona Sen Sharma), her stuttering political niece who helps her hide her precious jewelry and expands the story into three generations of women.

What could become a pseudo-artistic tale with strong feminist tones intertwined in a historical period in West Bengal ends up being almost an accessible tape on a family that does not always do the right thing with three very independent women, including a ghost aunt. The paranormal aspect always has its obstacles, since it can end up destroying the setting of a serious narrative.

However, it seems that Aparna Sen wanted to keep Goynar Baksho's tone relaxed with moments of comedy, but never got to sweeten these situations. Rashmoni played by Moushumi Chatterjee is charismatically unpleasant. With the exception of the ghostly effects and that sighting of Comic Sans font in the opening credits that made me think I was going to watch a children's film, I thought the production values ​​were very good.

The cinematography and the production design gave rise to very good moments with the actors, who did tremendous work. The only thing that disappointed me a little was that all the male characters had few qualities, and were pessimistic about their social status only as landowners who could not do anything but live off their land, although Saswata Chatterjee plays his role perfectly, a character that goes in contrast to that inclination of Somlata to want to leave the hollow of any way.

Or, who am I lying to? I had fun with Goynar Baksho due to my bias for Konkona Sen Sharma, but I ended up loving it by the resolution, so much so that I started looking for the book.
Share:

0 comments: