Easy Kathi Roll Recipe

If you want to try an authentic kebab I'm sure that you'll love Kati rolls. It is a common street food in Kolkata, with a number of variants under the generic name Kati Roll. It is Indian flatbread or paratha rolled with lamb and vegetables inside. It is also common to find Kati rolls with chicken. It is taken together with a refreshing sauce, lemon or lime or chaat masala, a spice mixture. The price of a Kati roll goes from Rs. 20 to 50.

And suddenly I wake up and thirty years have passed. I see with profound clarity those moments when I thought that I was invincible. When despite the fears and insecurities I felt powerful. The world was at my feet and I knew I had a lifetime ahead. I dreamed of being older and do what I want to do. I wanted to be free, come home late, and choose my destiny. I sipped tea in an old park that is a witness of our laughter and tears and my place of encounters.

Sometimes the past is back with implacable surprise when you stir the innards. I'm happy and sad. It makes you come back with a perhaps too hard jolt. The relentless speed can only give the memories of the beautiful moments. And so these days. I'm happy being nostalgic while recalling a past that never left my heart, but I slept in the depths of my being, without waiting to be awakened.

Kati Roll Recipe images

Nothing has to do with my childhood memories. Or maybe yes! At that time it was when I began to travel and to discover that the world reached far beyond our small territory. If you walked a little farther, there were people like us with very different customs, of customs, which in our eyes were exotic and curious and then I understood how beautiful is the world and the people who inhabit it.

I am convinced that many people would have some qualms about eating these little treats from the streets of Calcutta. Our eyes accustomed to the almost aseptic hygiene in which we live are not prepared for a lot of things that can be seen outside of our borders. But honestly, I not only do not mind and not that it was one of those things that come from my childhood trips.

Kati rolls are pure street food in Calcutta and elsewhere in India. In the street stalls roasted meats, previously marinated in spices are then wrapped in flatbread. Some people talk about kebabs of minced meat, others lamb kabobs, or chicken. There is no excuse to test flavors that come from afar.

Kathi Roll is preferable for dinner because until dusk the small places where they are sold do not begin to prepare them. Do not expect to eat a Kathi Roll in a restaurant. They are take away food, perfect for when you are in a hurry and even better for when they have closed the bars and you go hungry just before going home.

Preparation Time: 30 mins
Cooking time: 20 mins
Servings: 4 servings
Calories: 205

Ingredients:

1 cup wheat flour
1 cup all purpose flour
1 tsp oil
1 cup water
1 cup beans
1 cup cabbage
1 carrot
1 cup green peas
1 potato
1 bell pepper
1 tomato
2 tbsp cilantro
100 gm boneless chicken cubes
1 tsp ginger paste
1 tsp garlic paste
1 green chilli
1 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp cumin powder
1 tsp coriander powder
2 eggs
1 tsp lemon juice
2 onions
3 tbsp oil
Salt to taste

Recipe Method:

Add salt to the wheat flour and all purpose flour and oil, combine, and slowly add water to form soft yet slightly firm smooth dough. Cover the dough and let it rest for 15 minutes.

Blanch the beans, carrots, cabbage and keep aside.

Heat a tbsp of oil in saucepan over medium high heat and add the ginger, cumin, coriander, turmeric powder, cilantro and green chilli and sauté for few seconds. Add the chicken pieces and brown. Add tomatoes, cabbage, carrot, potatoes, beans, green peas, and bell pepper. Sauté for 10 minutes. Add the lemon juice and salt to taste and mix. Keep aside.

Beat eggs, season with salt and pepper and whisk the egg till fluffy and keep aside.

Knead the dough again. Pinch a large lemon sized ball of dough and press it both sides in dry flour, dust the surface with some flour and roll out the dough to form circles.

Heat a flat pan over medium high and, place rolled bread and let it cook lightly on both sides. Drizzle some oil, fry on one side for 10 seconds and on top pour 3 tbsp of beaten egg and flip over the bread.

Remove from pan, place the egg coated side of the bread up and sprinkle some lemon juice. Spread 4 tbsp chicken vegetable filling in the middle and sprinkle the onions over it and fold the flatbread tightly like burrito.

To serve, wrap the lower part of the roll in a butter paper foil wrap. Serve hot.

Next Post Previous Post
No Comment
Add Comment
comment url