Mohanthal similar to Besan burfi is a popular rajasthani and Gujarati sinfully rich roasted gram flour fudge made with milk, khoya and ghee and is a sweet dessert with a touch of cardamom flavor and topped with sliced almonds made more often during Krishna Janmashtami, Diwali and festivals that is ideally known to be served to Gods and Goddesses as prashad.
Mohanthal is considered an Indian invention. Prepared with sugar, milk, butter and cream, the dessert is served at room temperature. There are many variations of the classic recipe, from chocolate to that to nuts, to which you can add coffee, mint and rum. The cake is cut into squares and served at room temperature and is a specialty only, a mix between a toffee and a gianduiotto. Since you prepare in 10 minutes and does not require special molds, it may be a good idea to prepare a sweet Valentine's Day last minute dessert.
Mohanthal is a typical Gujarati sweet and is a kind of pastry flavored with cardamom, condensed milk and butter to which you can add coffee, chocolate, nuts, mint and rum to get different flavors.
- 3 cups bengal gram flour
- 6 tbsp butter
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup cream
- 1 cup milk powder
- 2 tsp cardamom powder
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 2 tbsp almonds and pistachios
- A few saffron strands
- Melt the butter and mix with gram flour in a large bowl and combine well. Add warm milk and mix well. Keep aside this mixture to rest for 20 minutes.
- Put the cream and milk powder in a frying pan and cook on medium heat until mixture comes together. Remove from heat and keep aside.
- Mix the milk dough with gram flour mixture and stir fry continuously on medium heat until it becomes light brown in colour. Let it cool and add cardamom powder, saffron and the nuts and stir until well combined.
- In a saucepan, boil the sugar and water together on medium heat till you reach a single thread consistency. Mix the syrup with flour mixture and keep stirring till the mixture turns thick and leaves the sides of the pan and quickly pour on a greased rectangular plate and level the surface.
- Cut it into desired shapes on the plate. Spread the sliced almonds evenly over the top to garnish.