The Dahi Vada is a Indian recipe, very popular in India and Pakistan. In fact typical of the south of the country, Dahi Vada is softened by allowing them to soak in water and then they are typically covered by the cream of yoghurt, to which is added red chutney, green ketchup, a sprinkling of coriander leaves, chilli powder and chaat masala. The spongy texture can be a bit heavy but it goes well with the cream to temper the spicy yoghurt.
It is obtained by mixing a chutney made from mint and onions and mixed with yogurt, a kind of Indian made cheese with cow milk. It is usually served as an accompaniment after food which helps in digestion. There are several ways to describe and define the Dahi Vada but the most correct is that this is a classic fast food dish found on the streets of India. The dahi vada is a signature dish for some of the major festivals in India, especially Holi and Dussehra.
The preparation is very simple and the result is good and is a really great meal and a healthy way to eat fast food.
Preparation Time: 20 mins
Cooking time: 20 mins
Servings: 2 servings
Calories per serving: 75 calories per 100 gms
- 1 cup urad daal
- 2 tbsp oil
- 3 cups yogurt
- 1 tsp ginger
- 2 green chilies
- 2 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- Pinch of baking soda
- Finely chopped coriander leaves
- Salt to taste
- Clean, wash and soak the dal in water overnight. Blend the yogurt and water until it is smooth. Keep in refrigerator for an hour. Add salt, red chili powder and cumin powder.
- Drain the dal. Combine the dal, ginger, and green chillies and grind to a smooth paste in a blender. Add the soda and salt to the paste and mix well till the batter is light and fluffy. Add little water if required.
- Heat oil in a pan and drop a spoonful of batter into a circle and fry on a slow flame till golden brown. Drain on absorbent paper and keep aside. Soak the deep fried hot vadas and put in warm water for an hour. Take them out of water and squeeze the water and keep aside.
- In a serving dish arrange vada and pour whisked yogurt over them. Garnish with chilli powder, cumin seeds powder, coriander. Serve the dahi vadas chilled.