Skip to main content

Travel to Shillong

Shillong wallpapers images

After the Raïka, the Poraja and the Santals, here I am with the Khasis, a community settled in the Meghalaya, a region of very humid hills that borders Bangladesh. As soon as we set foot in Shillong, the capital of Meghalaya, it was impossible to ignore that we are in Khasi land as most restaurant signs indicate the presence of Khasi dishes on the menu. I do not promise to taste all the local specialties, like the Jadoh, rice cooked in pig blood!

The saris are also rarer, often replaced by dresses, skirts or a checkered fabric shorter than a sari, knotted differently. Shillong is a wonderful city, but is very, very cold here! This is a kind of mantra that feels a bit everywhere here in the North East, but the city is actually much less beautiful than what is described. After 3 hours of travel by taxi, we arrive when it is already dark and we quickly choose a hotel. After a night spent, we explore Shillong.

After a good meal in a downtown restaurant, we take a Taxi to tour the city and visit interesting sites. Anyway I spent there a week of pleasant idleness, fooling around the town. I especially liked the young and carefree atmosphere, very different from the typical Indian cities. I met many interesting people, tourists from Calcutta, clubs, students, military, and I ate really well.

Shillong is the state capital which was long the headquarters of the British colonialists in this area, which at the time was all in the state of Assam. The British famously resented the tropical climate of the Indian plains and found Shillong a very similar place like Northern Europe, with a cool climate in summer and quite cold in the winter and an almost alpine vegetation.

After independence the city unfortunately rapidly transformed into the classic Indian concrete jungle and many of the historic colonial-style buildings were practically swallowed up by the forests of ugly apartment blocks or adapted to barracks or government buildings. No doubt, however compared to other Indian capital cities, it is very enjoyable and still retains a British tone, with beautiful parks, tree-lined streets and a few colonial-era villas.

What attracts tourists here is primarily the modern, fresh and civil atmosphere. The main attractions are the numerous waterfalls. On my first day in Shillong, I was struck by the ubiquity of churches and Christian symbols. I could see that the mass was held both in English and Khasi in the cathedral of the city.

There is still a museum to visit, the Don Bosco museum. It highlights the tribes of the northeast and is the largest museum of this type in this part of Asia. We visit the Shillong Peak that offers a panoramic view of the city followed by the Elephant Falls is a waterfall nearby, the Catholic Church and several other less interesting stuff like the Lady Hydari Park Zoo and the Wards Lake.

We visit the extraordinary bara bazaar market interlacing with lanes which each has its specialty like fruits, vegetables, tobacco, iron, fish, meat, textile, bamboo and sugar. Here is played a unique game called the Siat Khnam which means pull-bow in Khasi language. Every day thousands of players bet a number on each round. There are 2 rounds. At each turn around 20 players simultaneously shoots dozens of arrow on a bamboo target for about 3 minutes. Then each arrow that reaches the target is grouped and then counted, and the last two digits of the total of all the arrows is the winning number.

We also attend the Nongkrem Dance festival, the annual big festival where the Khasis thank God for the harvest, with many songs and dances, as well as sacrifices of roosters and goats. The unmarried girls wear magnificent silk garments for these dances.

As the driver offered us a competitive rate and he was friendly, we leave with him immediately to Cherrapunjee.

Comments

shadows said…
first of all. thanks for the comment on my blog. secondly very amazing post... and thirdly the blog design is fantastic.
I love travelling and to be honest cherrapunji is one of those places i would love to visit within the next couple of years. very nice photos...
:D
kankana said…
guess what i was born in Shillong and spent 20 years of my life in Shillong .. my fav place in the whole world. Cheerapunji is one such place we used to visit so often. You have captured beautiful photos. nice post.
kalaiselvisblog said…
wow... what a place...

superb snaps. as u said, it needs patience 2 cover such beautiful nature...
Shadows said…
hi,
Well inspired by your website... i have spent an entire day bugging myself over how to make a menu bar... that looks great... :D thanks for the inspiration
Kala said…
Gorgeous framing!
Pavan Kaul said…
beautiful colors...lovely image!
Tanvi said…
Lovely, I so want to see this heaven! Very very beautiful and serene :)

Cheers,
Megha said…
Only heard of place ...about the rains,....never been there..would like to go there
Charles Ravndal said…
Very picturesque! It's fabulous vacay destination in the future :)
Rohini said…
Thanks for stopping by my blog and for your generous comment... Your blog is very remarkable, both in its presentation and content.All the best... :)
magiceye said…
bright and colurfully beautiful!!
Lovely shots! Its such a beautiful place...I visited when I was a kid...I have faint memories of the place!
PS: Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving a note. Hope to see you again.
Leovi said…
Nice photo, I like these flowers.
Shanthi said…
Hey Kalyan!!!! Thanks for stopping by homeShanthihome. And you have the honor of being the first male member who commented on any of my posts. I will remember that and your photo in this post is gorgeous. That is one part of India I never ventured into. Hopefully one day soon I will land there :-). Thanks again.
Ms. Becky said…
oh, what a beautiful land! I' fascinated by the Living Root bridge and how it's made. that is amazing. thought I think I would be hesitant to walk it! thanks for stopping by my blog and saying hello, I truly appreciate it. happy day to you.
Magia da Inês said…
♥♫♪
°º✿
º° ✿✿♥ Olá!
A foto é maravilhosa... um lugar com uma vegetação dessas... montanhas como essas... é simplesmente exuberante.
Bom fim de semana!
Beijinhos.
Brasil
♥♫♪
°º✿
°º✿✿♪♫° ·.
Carletta said…
Beautiful capture!
Nice DOF!

Thanks for your visit this week. :)
Sylvia K said…
What an incredibly beautiful place! Love the colorful flowers and what a breathtaking capture! Hope you have a wonderful day! Thank you for your visit to my blog and your kind words!

Sylvia
Kay Ellen said…
Lovely photo on the mountain range and landscape!

Thank you for your visit to my blog too:)

Kay Ellen
karren said…
Your photography is brilliant! This photo is so beautiful... I thought it must be in Hawaii and then I see you are in India. I did not know that it is so gorgeous there. Thank you for visiting my blog.
Nicely done. It must have been amazing to be there.
~*~ saskia ~*~ said…
THat's a gorgeous shot!
Happy day
Riet said…
What a beaytiful photo. Thank you for your visit.
A wonderful photo with a beautiful view over the mountains and the waterfall.
Great colors !
Bob Bushell said…
Lovely landscape.
Irina said…
So beautiful and colorful blog, reminds me of spicy India.
Matteo Taffuri said…
Grazie!
Have a wonderful Sunday
greetings from Italy
Matteo
Art said…
Beautiful capture, i like it!
Desiree said…
Until reading this wonderful post and being immersed in your outstanding pictures, I had no idea of the existence of this remarkable place! Thank you so very much for sharing it!
Thanks for dropping by my blog. You had a very nice blog and very beautiful picture.
annemarie said…
Loveley photo and thank you for visiting my blog.
Erika said…
Thanks for visiting my blog. This place is wonderful!!!!Thank you for sharing with us the beauties of your country.
I like also the graphics of your blog.
Ciao from Italy.
Erika
Rajesh said…
Beautiful landscape.
Abraham Lincoln said…
This is a beautiful portrait of the area. The colorful plants makes it all the more interesting.
Malar Gandhi said…
Beautiful. Never been to NE India, its always on my wish list. Thanks for sharing the picture with us.
Gretchen said…
Looks like a gorgeous place!! Love all the waterfalls... and the colors of the flowers! =)
Yogi♪♪♪ said…
It sounds like a magical place.
Sandra said…
very beautiful
RuneE said…
And Rhododendrons - my favourite flower.
thank YOU for visiting me this morning and for sending such beauty my way via this fabulous VIEW! Ahhhhh.....what a place...I may never see, but thanks to Blogging, we can visit one another. Have a peaceful day, Anita
Babs said…
Beautiful photo. Thanks for visiting my blog. I appreciate your nice comment.
Please visit again.
Halcyon said…
Beautiful view!
ladyfi said…
The sound of rain is joyful! Lovely shot.
Sivinden said…
Beautiful scenery - great composition!
TexWisGirl said…
beautiful photo. lovely bright colors against that lovely backdrop.
don said…
The vivd colors of the close greenery makes a fine setting for showing us these cloud covered mountains in the distance. Well done.
imac said…
Now, that does sound and look like Heaven.

Thanks for your visit and nice comments.
Rae Walter said…
Beautiful photo and thanks also for your comment.
anthony stemke said…
Incredibly beautiful and picturesque photographs of a very lovely piece of geography. That's a lot of rainfall. huh?

Popular posts from this blog

Egg Curry Recipe

Egg curry in India is known as Anda Curry that is a very simple recipe and is very popular with children. Perfect for lovers of hardboiled eggs, the spicy curry enhances the flavor. In this dish, the hard-boiled eggs are stir fried and then added to a sauce. It is served over steamed rice in India. Eggs can be added to any type of sauce you like. In this instructable I have shown how to make it with peas and tomato sauce.

This week I propose a curry eggs, a dish I wanted to replicate for some time after I had tasted the homemade version prepared by a friend. When I announced that dinner was planned with a curry of eggs it unexpectedly cause generalized reactions of astonishment. And so I realized that it has taken for granted that everyone to know that there are several varieties of curry, not only as regards the main ingredient, but also for the combination of spices and flavor to be obtained. So I decided to make a brief discussion on the curry to have some clarity on the subject.

An Italian Meal with my friend at Da Mauro

As I walked down the street, distracted by my thoughts and my memories, the smell from a nearby pizza shop invaded my senses and immediately my mind was transported to a recent visit to an expat friend's house. My friend, John lives in Central Park Resorts at the heart of Gurgaon. I'm not a huge fan of Gurgaon given the dusty roads, pollution, bad traffic and civic sense, but Central Park Resorts is another world in itself - an ample green environment with the usual facilities like amphitheatre, gym, spa, kids play area etc. But two things really caught my eye - the town-ship is automobile free and golf buggies are used to commute on surface. That sounds downright futuristic and something only the millionaires could afford, right? But there it was, right in front of my eyes in Gurgaon! Well, the future is really here I guess.

But what really got to me is the second thing - something situated inside the Central Park Resorts township. Read on:

As John and I planned to discuss t…

Mysore Pak Recipe

The Mysore Pak is an Indian dessert originating in the state of Karnataka in southern India, but it is widely consumed throughout peninsular India and especially Tamil Nadu, Andhra Pradesh and Kerala. There are 2 ways to prepare it, soft or more solid, with generous amounts of melted butter or ghee, chickpea flour and sugar. Of course people prepare these delicacies especially for the feast of Diwali, the festival of lights.

The mysore pak was originally known as masoor pak, and was made with masoor dal flour. The exact origin of the recipe is unknown, although some claim that it was created in or near the Mysore Palace by a cook raised in the Kakasura Madappa. Its history dates back to, probably sometime in the 17th or 18th century Mysore, where during the reign of King Krishna Raja Wadiyar IV, the recipe was invented in the kitchens of the palace by the chef Kakasura Madappa. Having no idea for his creation, Madappa decided to call the recipe Mysore Pak, which means in Sanskrit and…